A new treatment for vaginal dryness
Your body changes, but your life doesn’t have to
The hormonal changes accompanying the menopause can lead to alterations in the firmness, elasticity and hydration of the skin and mucous membranes of the vaginal and vulvar area, so you may experience dryness, tightness and pain during sexual intercourse.
Did you know...
1 in 4 post-menopausal women suffering from vaginal dryness seek medical advice?
A lack of lubrication can cause itching and greater propensity to vaginal infection?
Painful sexual relations can reduce sexual desire by 59%?
A revolutionary treatment could improve your sex life and give you back your confidence?
It is a common problem affecting 40% of women at this stage of life in Spain.
What it involves
It involves the local application by subcutaneous injection of a type of hyaluronic acid developed specifically for the genital area.
The compound restores elasticity, skin hydration and the correct appearance of the vaginal area affected by oestrogen deficiency.
There are two distinct treatments:
- Desirial: indicated for rehydrating and restoring comfort to the intimate parts.
- Desirial Plus: besides hydrating the skin, it helps to reconstruct the tissue and, if necessary, increase the volume of the labia majora.
When is it indicated
- If you notice vaginal dryness during the premenopause or menopause.
- If vaginal dryness is causing you discomfort, itching, irritation, pain, or even bleeding during intercourse.
- If the dryness appears after childbirth or while breast-feeding.
- If you have undergone cancer treatment that has brought on early menopause.
- To complement other local treatments for conditions of the vulva, such as lichenoid vulvar disease.
- To fill in fat loss in the vaginal labia majora.
How is it done
The treatment is carried out in the outpatient clinic and takes around 20 minutes.
A local anaesthetic is applied, making the treatment entirely painless.
After the treatment, simply follow a few basic precautions:
- Avoid intercourse for 5 days after having the treatment.
- Do not engage in activities that can put pressure on the treated area for 3 to 5 days after the treatment (cycling, horse riding, etc.).
- Avoid crowded and humid places, such as swimming pools, gyms, spas, hot tubs, etc., for the first 3-5 days.
What are the advantages of the treatment
Lasting effect (6 to 12 months).
Improved quality of life and sexual relations.
Improvement in symptoms of genital dryness associated primarily with the menopause or cancer treatments (radiotherapy, chemotherapy).
By having the treatment at Dexeus Mujer, you have a multidisciplinary, specialist medical team on hand to ask about your related concerns. We also have a dedicated unit on sexuality issues.
We provide medical care in an integrated circuit: diagnoses, treatments, consultations and surgery are performed centrally on the same premises.
Rosa, aged 51, Barcelona
"Whilst having lunch with friends, the subject of the menopause came up and we started to joke about the symptoms. A nurse friend said that after her periods stopped she had used lubricants during intercourse because she had noticed vaginal dryness and tightness, but that it still bothered her so she tried Desirial, a product recommended to her by one of the doctors at her hospital. So I decided to try it too and I have seen a vast improvement and even heightened sensitivity."