Keeping future hopes alive
Some cancer treatments can cause infertility.
For this reason, if you have been diagnosed with cancer and have to postpone motherhood, we give you the chance to preserve your ability to have children so that you don't have to give up the possibility of becoming a mother in the future.
What is it
Dexeus Mujer and Hospital Universitari Dexeus offer free fertility preservation treatments for all cancer patients diagnosed and treated at our clinic.
The fertility preservation programme for cancer patients of the Dexeus Mujer Foundation also has an annual budget for patients at other clinics.
What does the treatment involve
Our centers offers different methods:
- Oocyte cryopreservation: after hormone treatment to stimulate your ovaries to produce more eggs, the oocytes are retrieved and cryopreserved (a technique which consists of preserving cells or tissues at a temperature of between -80 and -196°C).
- Ovarian tissue cryopreservation: this procedure involves the laparoscopic extraction of ovarian tissue fragments for cryopreservation. Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgical technique in which the abdomen is accessed via tiny incisions.
- Embryo cryopreservation: consists of extracting the oocytes, fertilising them in vitro with the sperm of the partner or donor, and cryopreserving the embryos by vitrification.
What happens next
When you decide that the time has come:
- The desired number of eggs are thawed.
- The eggs are fertilised with semen from your partner or a donor through In vitro fertilisation.
- The fertilised embryos are transferred to the woman's uterus.
Make an appointment with your gynaecologist to find out which method is best for you.
Why choose us
- Our IVF success rate is among the highest in Europe.
- Cryopreservation allows frozen eggs to retain the same quality as fresh eggs and ensures that they do not deteriorate over the years.
- We are at the forefront of technology and we offer patients all the services they may need in one place.
- We provide a Complimentary Fertility Preservation Programme for all cancer patients diagnosed and treated at our clinic.
- Since the initial establishment of our Gynaecological Oncology and Mastology Committee composed of specialists in gynaecology, oncology, radiology, pathology, radiotherapy and cosmetic surgery in 1974, we have worked tirelessly to assess each case individually and create personalised, tailored treatment plans.
- We have a dedicated cancer care service.
- Our committee studies more than 1,200 cases a year which are treated in one of the largest private women's health clinics in Europe.
- Our facilities allow us to meet all your safety requirements and to provide an integrated circuit in which diagnoses, treatments, consultations and interventions are centralised. You will be in the best hands, in a first-rate hospital setting with a 24-hour emergency department.
- Our clinic is a national centre of excellence with over 75 years of experience. We are pioneers in prevention, diagnosis and treatment in the field of reproductive health.