Keeping future hopes alive
Some cancer treatments can cause infertility.
For this reason, if you have been diagnosed with cancer and have to postpone motherhood, we give you the chance to preserve your ability to have children so that you don't have to give up the possibility of becoming a mother in the future.
What is it
Dexeus Mujer and Hospital Universitari Dexeus offer free fertility preservation treatments for all cancer patients diagnosed and treated at our clinic.
The fertility preservation programme for cancer patients of the Dexeus Mujer Foundation also has an annual budget for patients at other clinics.
What does the treatment involve
Our centers offers different methods:
- Oocyte cryopreservation: after hormone treatment to stimulate your ovaries to produce more eggs, the oocytes are retrieved and cryopreserved (a technique which consists of preserving cells or tissues at a temperature of between -80 and -196°C).
- Ovarian tissue cryopreservation: this procedure involves the laparoscopic extraction of ovarian tissue fragments for cryopreservation. Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgical technique in which the abdomen is accessed via tiny incisions.
- Embryo cryopreservation: consists of extracting the oocytes, fertilising them in vitro with the sperm of the partner or donor, and cryopreserving the embryos by vitrification.
What happens next
When you decide that the time has come:
- The desired number of eggs are thawed.
- The eggs are fertilised with semen from your partner or a donor through In vitro fertilisation.
- The fertilised embryos are transferred to the woman's uterus.
Make an appointment with your gynaecologist to find out which method is best for you.
Why choose us
Cryopreservation allows frozen eggs to retain the same quality as fresh eggs and ensures that they do not deteriorate over the years.
With 50 years of experience treating more than 30,000 patients, we have been endorsed as a leader in the fight against women's cancer.
Since the creation of our first Gynaecology, Oncology and Mastology committee in 1974, made up of specialists in gynaecology, oncology, radiology, pathological anatomy, radiotherapy and aesthetic surgery, we have worked with the goal of evaluating each patient's issue individually in order to establish a personalised and tailor-made treatment.
Our committee studies more than 1,200 cases a year, which are treated in one of Europe's largest private centres devoted exclusively to women.
We provide a Complimentary Fertility Preservation Programme for all cancer patients diagnosed and treated at our clinic.
We are pioneers in reproductive medicine. We have more than 80 years’ experience behind us and a team of highly qualified and specialised professionals. The first Spanish test-tube baby was born in our clinic (1984) and Spain's first egg donation treatment was carried out here, which culminated in the birth of twins (1988).
Extensive experience, quality and cutting-edge technology. We have one of the top in vitro fertilisation laboratories in Europe where we perform over 3,000 cycles (assisted reproduction techniques) each year. We offer the latest advances in assisted reproduction, such as intracytoplasmic sperm injection and real-time monitoring of embryo development (dynamic monitoring).
Our facilities allow us to meet all your safety requirements and to provide an integrated circuit in which diagnoses, treatments, consultations and interventions are centralised. You will be in the best hands, in a first-rate hospital setting with a 24-hour emergency department.