What is involved
Fractional laser treatment involves the application of small pulses of laser energy on the vaginal mucosa. It is performed on an outpatient basis and is practically painless. In general, two or three sessions are needed to get results, although it varies from case to case.
After the treatment, you can go about your life as normal, although it is advisable to wait a few days before resuming sexual relations.
How does it work
The laser stimulates the formation of new collagen, improving the lubrication and tension of the vaginal canal.
Who it is for
- In young women suffering from distension of the vaginal walls after one or more vaginal births who have lost the normal tone and elasticity of their pelvic floor muscles.
- For the treatment of mild or moderate urinary incontinence, vaginal laxity and vaginal dryness.
- During the menopause, if you have urogenital symptoms: vulvo-vaginal atrophy, vaginal dryness, irritation, burning or stinging sensation, pain during sexual intercourse or leaking small or moderate amounts of urine.
- Restores the vaginal pH.
- Improves the tone and lubrication of the vagina.
- Helps to avoid urine leaks.
- Improves vaginal dryness and urinary incontinence.
- Improves sensitivity and sexual pleasure (in some cases).
- Reduces predisposition toward vaginal prolapse.
Side effects and contraindications
In expert hands and with quality teams, this procedure has no complications or post-treatment sequelae. The side effects are local, temporary and rare. In some cases, it can cause an increase in vaginal discharge, a slight sensation of stinging, very light bleeding and, temporarily in only 4-6% of cases, urge incontinence.
Each case is examined individually to ensure that the treatment is not contraindicated.
What are the advantages of the treatment
Lasting effect (6 to 12 months).
Improved quality of life and sexual relations.
Improvement in symptoms of genital dryness associated primarily with the menopause or cancer treatments (radiotherapy, chemotherapy).
By having the treatment at Dexeus Mujer, you have a multidisciplinary, specialist medical team on hand to ask about your related concerns. We also have a dedicated unit on sexuality issues.
We provide medical care in an integrated circuit: diagnoses, treatments, consultations and surgery are performed centrally on the same premises.
Martina Palau, aged 45
"I have two children and I love running. I ran during and after my two pregnancies, although at a slower pace and for less time, of course. But for the last few months I've started to notice that I'm leaking a little urine, so I went to see my gynaecologist. I was told I needed physiotherapy to improve the tone of my pelvic floor muscles and a laser treatment to strengthen the tissues in the area. I have had several sessions and I think things have improved, although I have had to stop running, but better to act now!".