Natural Birth Unit
Your birth, your decision
At Dexeus Mujer we have opened a new Natural Birth Unit so that you can experience childbirth in a more proactive way and respect its natural development as much as possible. This service includes the continual support of a team of midwives from our centre, who, in addition to attending the birth itself, will monitor the entire process from the 36th week of the pregnancy. They will be by your side throughout the dilation process and the birth, monitoring its progress and providing you with personalised advice.
The advantage of this option is that it allows you to give birth as if you were in your own home, but without renouncing all the technological advances and delivery care services provided by a hospital environment. So if there were any complications, you would have access to all the necessary medical care. The midwives are in constant contact with the medical team and the hospital has a team of gynaecologists on call 24 hours a day, as well as operating theatres located on the same floor and a first class Neonatology Unit.
Among the services offered by the Natural Birth Unit is the option of a 40m2 private room, equipped with a dilation bathtub that promotes relaxation of the perineal muscles. Dilation while in water helps to reduce the pain of the contractions and gives you the feeling that you have greater control over the process, in addition to reducing its duration.
The service also includes a pre-birth visit and a post-birth visit by the midwife within 24 hours of the birth, to monitor your progress, help you with breastfeeding and any other aspects you may want advice on.
This new service aims to respond to the growing demand from many women for more control over the process of childbirth, as well as to make the experience as natural as possible. At our centre we always try to respect the mother's will, which she can provide in writing through the Childbirth Plan. However, the doctor's opinion will always take precedence should there be any complications or risks, as the safety of the mother and the baby is our priority. Furthermore, in order to minimise any risk, we do not deliver babies in water at our centre.
What does this involve
In addition to all the technical advances and childbirth care services currently offered by all hospitals, the Natural Birth Unit provides you with the assistance and continuous care of our midwife team, who will accompany you from the final weeks leading up to the birth, throughout the birth itself and afterwards.
We provide you with a large 40m2 private room that is very comfortable and decorated with warm tones, combining rest areas with other areas that are designed to facilitate dilation and breathing exercises.
This room is located on the third floor of the Dexeus University Hospital and complies with the recommendations for good practices outlined by the World Health Organization for providing high quality childbirth care. It features:
A circular dilation bath which is adjusted to body temperature (35-37°C), and adapted to facilitate access for pregnant women.
Warm lighting with adjustable brightness, to create a more intimate atmosphere.
Ambient music for relaxation, which you can choose and control from your mobile.
A private bathroom with toilet and shower.
A gurney and monitoring equipment, for monitoring the well-being of the foetus, the mother's vital signs and the development of the dilation process.
A rest area for your partner, a companion or a family member.
An area for walking or doing relaxation exercises and equipment for promoting dilation (Pilates ball, birthing chair).
Dilation in water offers multiple benefits for the birth process, both from a physical and a psychological perspective.
- Immersion in warm water, at 35-37°C, relieves tension and promotes muscle relaxation, helping to alleviate the pain caused by contractions.
- It has a relaxing effect at a psychological level, thus reducing anxiety, and the need for medication.
- Maternal relaxation facilitates the circulation of blood from the mother to the baby as well as the release of oxytocin, a hormone that promotes their well-being.
- Contact with water encourages the production of endorphins and reduces the fatigue and stress often associated with the dilation phase.
- Immersion in water during the first stage of labour is linked with reduced use of epidural anaesthesia and a shorter duration of this stage.
Services provided by the Natural Birth Unit:
- Guided tour prior to childbirth, so you can see the facilities (arranged with the Patient Care Service).
- Childbirth in an exclusive room with your own private space, a comfortable environment and a relaxing atmosphere.
- Use of a bathtub for dilation.
- You will be accompanied exclusively by a midwife throughout the entire dilation and birth process, who will monitor your progress and provide personalised advice.
- A personalised visit with a midwife to prepare both you and your partner for the birth.
- A post-birth visit from the midwife at the clinic (within 24 hours of delivery) to monitor your progress, advise you on breastfeeding and offer you useful advice for the post-birth period.
- Immediate medical intervention if necessary and access to the services of a first class anaesthesiologist, operating theatre and Neonatal ICU.
- Potential for early discharge within 24 hours of childbirth if everything has gone smoothly.
Who is it for
This option is perfect for all patients who wish to experience childbirth in a more natural and proactive way, except in cases where it is has been advised against for medical reasons, such as a pregnancy or delivery considered high risk, due to premature delivery, infectious diseases or the mother developing an illness that makes this process unwise, for example.
Why choose us
Our clinic manages the highest number of pregnancies of all the private facilities in Catalonia (more than 3,000 deliveries each year).
Dexeus Mujer is a reference in the management of high risk pregnancy and one of the few private clinics to be equipped with a neonatal ICU which allows us to deal with complications such as pre-term labour.
You will be in the best hands, in a first-rate hospital environment with access to an on-call healthcare team (obstetricians, paediatricians and anaesthetists) 24/7/365.
Lucía Gallardo, 36 years old. Barcelona
"I had my first baby when I was 31. The contractions were very painful and it took me a while to dilate. So I didn't want the same unpleasant experience with my second one. I'd heard about water birth, but I was a bit hesitant. However, when I found out that Dexeus Mujer had opened a Natural Birth Unit that meant I could dilate in a bathtub, I decided to give it a try, and it was a great experience!
Beatriz, my midwife, was really on the ball and was encouraging me the whole time, and all that space was such a luxury! I know the second birth is usually faster, but with the novelty of the experience and how relaxed I felt, the time flew by! Before I knew it I already had Edu in my arms!"