A team of specialists at your service
If you have been diagnosed with a gynaecological cancer, Dexeus Mujer has a Gynaecological Oncology Committee composed of top specialists who will give you an accurate diagnosis and personalised treatment for your situation.
When should I come
We recommend a visit to our clinic if you have:
- A diagnosis from another clinic and need a second opinion.
- Any of the following symptoms and require a diagnosis to confirm or rule out the presence of a tumour:
- Increased abdominal girth.
- Changes in bowel movements (tendency to have either diarrhoea or constipation).
- Heavy digestions.
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding, especially if you are post-menopausal.
- Abdominal pain or persistent weight below the navel.
- Vulvar discomfort in the form of an ulcer, nodule, itching or persistent burning.
Having any of these symptoms does not mean that you have cancer, but we recommend that you make an appointment with a gynaecologist.
Diagnosis, tests and treatment
The most important thing to do when faced with a case of cancer is to obtain an accurate diagnosis as soon as possible to be able to take the best decision for your health. This is why Dexeus Mujer has the best specialists and the most cutting-edge technology in diagnostic testing, allowing us to provide you with an initial diagnosis in 48 hours.
In the event of a suspected cancer of the ovaries, endometrium, vulva or cervix, we conduct all the necessary tests to confirm an accurate diagnosis. The most common ones are:
Tests performed at Dexeus Mujer
Examination of the external genitalia and pelvic exam to check the uterus and ovaries.
For observation of the uterus and to detect the appearance of any mass in the uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries that could be a tumour.
This is done if the suspicion of a tumour is confirmed. It consists of the observation of the inside of the uterus with a camera inserted through the cervix. It is a straightforward test carried out on an outpatient basis.
Used to analyse the cells of the cervix to detect the presence of infections, precancerous lesions and cancer.
Technique performed in the surgery for viewing the cervix, vagina and vulva.
These provide us with additional information, such as the presence of an abnormal parameter that could indicate the presence of cancer.
If the suspicion of cancer is confirmed, it will be necessary to remove a sample of the tumour cells for analysis.
The treatment protocol for gynaecological cancer at our clinic is tailored and based on the decision made by our Expert Committee. It includes a series of measures that will vary according to diverse factors, such as:
- The organ to treat (cervix, endometrium, ovary, or vulva).
- The spread of the disease.
- Overall health status.
The most common treatments are:
- Local excision (by laser or diathermy handle) for pre-invasive lesions of the cervix, which are cured in practically 100% of cases.
- Hormone therapy.
The patient's active participation and will to overcome the disease are fundamental throughout the treatment process, as is their confidence in the treatment and strict adherence to the recommended follow-up.
With early diagnosis, many cancers can be treated successfully. More than half of cancer patients currently have a good prognosis.
How can we help you
Specialist gynaecological cancer unit
Our specialist gynaecological cancer unit is equipped to give you the care you need for your situation. It cares for patients with symptoms of a possible cancer of the ovaries, endometrium or cervix requiring a diagnosis to confirm or rule out the presence of a tumour, and for patients with a diagnosis from other clinics who come to us for treatment.
This specialist unit also offers a second opinion service to help guide each patient in making their decisions based on the genetic and molecular characteristics of the tumour cells.
Our interdisciplinary committees
Many women with a prior diagnosis come to Dexeus Mujer for orientation, since we have interdisciplinary committees that analyse all cases and determine the protocols to follow.
Our committees are comprised of oncologists, specialist surgeons, gynaecological oncologists, pathologists, radiation therapists and radiology specialists. These professionals share their opinions and make the best decision for your situation.
With this multi-disciplinary team, you can also undergo all the tests and receive all the treatments that you need in a coordinated procedure in the same place and within the minimum possible time, without having to make extra trips or arrange separate visits to different specialists.
These committees work hard to:
- Individualise cases for the purpose of designing a personalised diagnostic and treatment strategy for each patient.
- Establish the treatment to apply through consensus.
- Monitor the follow-up of each patient.
- PPromote basic and clinical research and further the continuous updating of cancer knowledge in order to improve the diagnosis and cure of our patients.
Cancer patient care service
At Dexeus Mujer, we offer our cancer patients a specialist care service with the advice and support they need. From diagnosis to tests and treatment, the patient is accompanied at all times and given guidance and the answers to any questions that they may have, both in person and over the telephone. We also have of a team of specialist physiotherapists, acupuncturists, geneticists and dermatologists and use laser and endoscopy techniques for the treatment of pre-invasive lesions.
“Initial impact” programme
The diagnosis of cancer is a huge emotional shock for the patient and their families that can affect both the acceptance of the process and the outcome of the disease. This is why Dexeus Mujer has partnered with the Spanish cancer association Asociación Española Contra el Cáncer (AECC) to bring its patients the "Initial impact" programme, offering psychological counselling to newly diagnosed women and their families and accompanying them throughout the process.
The programme offers patients and their families a cancer psychologist. From the moment of the cancer diagnosis, this professional identifies the emotional and social needs of the patient and their family, and advises them on the resources they will require. After assessing the level of emotional distress, the psychologist refers the patient to a professional service that will meet their needs and those of their family, should they so require. The aim is to attend to patients as soon as possible and to complete the psychological treatment within a period of 31 days from the time of diagnosis.
Free preservation of fertility
Some cancer treatments can cause infertility. Therefore, at Dexeus Mujer we offer women the possibility of preserving their fertility so that, once they have overcome the disease, they can fulfil any desire of being a mother.
Dexeus Mujer and Hospital Universitari Dexeus offer free fertility preservation treatments for all cancer patients diagnosed and treated at our clinic.
The fertility preservation programme for cancer patients of the Dexeus Mujer Foundation also has an annual budget for patients at other clinics. This budget is limited so if you are coming from another clinic, you should contact our International Department (93 227 48 96) to confirm that it would be free in your case.
Why choose us
- More than 40 years of experience and more than 30,000 patients treated confirm our status as a centre of expertise in the fight against women's cancer.
- Since the initial establishment of our Gynaecological Oncology and Mastology Committee composed of specialists in gynaecology, oncology, radiology, pathology, radiotherapy and cosmetic surgery in 1974, we have worked tirelessly to assess each case individually and create personalised, tailored treatment plans.
- Our committee studies more than 1,200 cases a year which are treated in one of the largest private women's health clinics in Europe.
- We have the best medical equipment with state-of-the-art ultrasound machines and very low radiation mammography equipment which allows us to offer our patients reliable diagnoses from a very young age and without radiation risks, as well as laser and endoscopy equipment for the treatment of pre-invasive lesions.
- We have a cancer care service.